The Order of Calatrava, a religious Order, a military-founded in Castile, in the TWELFTH century, for the Abbot don Raimundo de Fitero, with the initial goal of protecting the town of Calatrava (near the current Ciudad Real). To the death of the Abbot, the new grand master, Don García adopted the cistercian rule and the Pope recognized the Order the same year. In the year 1212, the Order of Calatrava was one of the most powerful of Castile. Since 1254, the Monarch influenced the choice of the Great Masters, and, from 1476, the same took the direct control of the Order. The Cross of Calatrava, emblem of the Order is a Greek Cross of gules with flower de lys in the tips.