A Sabre is a type of white weapon which can be included in the swords category. It is shown as single-edged ans curved blade with a handle covered by a guard. It was mainly used by cavalry members.
The word "sabre" comes from Polish expression "szabla". It was born in eastern Europe as a way to imitate the effectivenes fo turkish scimitars during XIVth century. These curved blade swords started to be used in Europe during XVIth century achieving a huge celebrity in the XVIIIth century.
In 1800 they were part of french, english and United States' armies indumentary. Nowadays sabres are mostly conceived as ceremonials' weapons; it means as a complement for the soldier's uniform. Ceremonial sabres can also be straight blade.
Types of sabres
We can assume that sabres vary their design according to where are they made. That's why every single civilization had its own fabrication method and combat style. Here you are a list of the most famous sabres:
- Katana, also known as the japanese sabre used by infantry, it has a little guard called "tsuba".
- Saber-rattle, is an arabic saber which shows a guard with bows.
- Scimitar, is an arabic saber with a flat guard.
- Briquet Saber, is a french saber without guard and medium size.
- Pirates Sabers; they were wide blade boarding sabers.
- Ceremonial Sabers; they are modern sabers no-edged and conceived as a complment for the uniform. Thay can show a straight or curved blade.
- Shashka; is a russian saber withouth guard.
Who used the sabre?
We can assume that sabre is a polyvalent sword, it implies that each army asigned it to different sections, such as:
- French Army, Briquet Sabre was mainly asigned to cavalry.
- United States Army, during XIXth century sabre was used by cavalry.
- Japanese Army, Katana, Nodachi, Wakizashi and Tanto were sabres carried by both infantry and cavalry.
- It was said that Tanto was espacially desingned for women.
- Russian Army, Shashka was above all used by cavalry.
- Turkish Army, Scimitar was the sword of infantry members.
Sabre during battles
Sabre was an excellent weapon for combat. It did not require a high level of combat skills to be used, given that is easy to fight with it even with a sinle hand. Soldiers could slash their enemies withouth dismounting their horses, but also thrusting withouth getting their weapons stuck in their enemies' bodies.
Guard was not only conceived to keep the soldier's hand unharmed but also hitting the enemy, specially in close combat. We can confirm that sabres are one of our most sold items. We always try to update our catalog in order to satisfy as many needs as possible form our customers.
We have at your disposal european and United States Army sabres. If you need any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.