A Sabre is a type of white weapon which can be included in the swords category. It is shown as single-edged ans curved blade with a handle covered by a guard. It was mainly used by cavalry members.
The word "sabre" comes from the Polish expression "szabla". It was born in eastern Europe as a way to imitate the effectivenes fo turkish scimitars during XIVth century. These curved blade swords started to be used in Europe during XVIth century achieving a huge celebrity in the XVIIIth century.
In 1800 they were part of french, english and United States' armies indumentary. Nowadays sabres are mostly conceived as ceremonials' weapons; it means as a complement for the soldier's uniform. Ceremonial sabres can also be straight blade.
Types of American Sabres
Here you are a list of American sabres wre used by different United States' Armies:
- United States Marine Corps' Sabres
- United States Army's Sabres
- United States Air Force's Sabres
- Confederate States of America's Sabres
American Sabre's Characteristics
We are going to analyze the most important parts of American Sabres:
- Blade; which can be straight or curved and about 60-80 cm long. Ceremonial sabres may show a varied symbology besides of flower motifs.
- Guard; which can be simple or complex with some bows. It is normally made of metal and/or golden.
- Handle; which can be made of several materials as animal skin or wood.
- Scabbard; which can be made of metal or covered in animal's skin.
- Sometimes we can appreciate in them brass parts, such as holding rings.
American Sabres are extrmely well considered. We have at your disposal a huge variety of them from various ages and styles. Most of them are made very carefully in order to satisfy all of our customers demands. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.